The Waikīkī Aquarium aims to "inspire and promote understanding, appreciation and conservation of Pacific marine life." Many wonderful people help to make this mission a reality. These special people, diverse in age, background and experience, are eager to learn more about Hawaii's marine environment and how they can preserve and protect it.
1) If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the Waikīkī Aquarium's Volunteer Program Office to learn more about our opportunities and upcoming trainings. All prospective volunteers must complete the Volunteer application form, Assumption of Risk and Release form and the Criminal Background Check form. All volunteers must be at least 18 years old, pass a criminal background check, and meet in person with Volunteer Program staff.
2) Our Education Department's next volunteer training for Aquarium Interpreters will begin October 3, 2013.
Aquarium Interpreters share natural history information on our outdoor reef exhibit, guide visitor observations and answer questions about Hawaii's marine environment. The training course covers interpretation and hospitality skills, and information on exhibit operations and various marine sciences.
The 8-session training course will be held October 3 - October 19, 2013 on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.) and Saturday mornings (9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.) here in the Waikīkī Aquarium's classroom. One-on-one sessions are then scheduled and trainees will receive on-the-job training. Each trainee must attend all eight sessions prior to acceptance to the program.
In exchange for this free training, we ask that Interpreters commit to work one two-hour shift per week for minimum period of six months. Shifts are available from 9-11 a.m., 11 a.m.-1 p.m., 1-3 p.m., and 3-5p.m. every day of the week.
Please print the forms and submit by regular mail or as an email attachment to email@example.com or fax (808-923-1771) or drop your forms at the Waikīkī Aquarium. Please call 440-9020 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting and reserve your place in the class.
3) We are continuously recruiting for our School Support Program Volunteer Docents who work with our Education staff, giving lively presentations and guiding interactive discovery tours for school youngsters grades K through 6. Docents work one morning a week (Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday) from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. throughout the school year (November - May). The 12 session training course will be held in September 2013: Call or e-mail for more information and to find out how to get involved.
Becoming a regular volunteer at the Waikīkī Aquarium brings many rewards:
- "Making a difference" to staff, visitors and marine life
- Extensive training provided by qualified staff
- Continuing education opportunities
- Formal recognition of volunteer efforts (includes annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, Holiday Party, certificates, letter of recommendation, etc.)
- Friends of the Waikīkī Aquarium membership privileges (includes free admission, publications, special event notices, etc.)
- Gift shop and program discounts
Take the Plunge!
Do you want to get involved with this great group of people? Call the Waikīkī Aquarium's Volunteer Coordinator
at (808) 440-9020 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. HST (GMT -10:00) today!